What gets your heart pumping when your training? What makes you pump that one extra push up when you’re about to collapse? What makes you forgot yourself when you’re preforming Kata?… Passion!
When I’m watching a really good Karateka train, preform Kata or fight, 25% of my mind is concentrating on his or hers technique the other 75% of me is watching them disappear in their Karate, going some where inside themselves where no one can ever follow them… This is Passion and it’s beautiful…
Find your Passion and you’ll find the one thing that will define you from millions of others…
Once you’ve obtained what ever belt level you aim for; once you’ve won and lost a few tournaments, knocked out a few competitors or get knocked out yourself, what then? Whats your ultimate aim in your Karate?
The first time I saw this clip I didn’t know who Shuseki-Shihan William Oliver was and everything about this Kata went against everything I had been taught because I was a small minded Karate-ka. I couldn’t stop thinking to myself “that stance is wrong” and then I saw a comment that read ‘that’s how a fighter does a Kata’.
Enjoy and appreciate this clip and Shuseki-Shihan William Oliver interpretation of Kanku Kata while thinking to yourself, ‘that’s how a fighter does Kata’.
When I started in Seidojuku I had no idea about its history, no idea who taught our Kaicho and who his master was until my Senpai told me he came from Kyokushinkai. This lead me to read Tadashi Nakamura’s book, ‘The Human Face of Karate’ where Kaicho speaks about his teacher, Sosai Mas Oyama. After doing some research on Sosai, Kaicho Nakamura and Kyokushin I decided that every time we bowed to Kaicho in the Dojo, I would also recognize Sosai Mas Oyama.
What I’m trying to say is that if it wasn’t for Sosai, would we have had Seidojuku? If it wasn’t for Sosai, would we have had IKO Matsui or IKO Midori or IKO Matsushima or IKF? Would we have had great Karate like Kancho Matsui, Kaicho Nakamura, Shihan Royama, Hanshi Arneil?
So when you bow to your Kaicho, remember who taught him, when class gets too hard, look down at that Kanji on your chest and think about how harder Karateka before you trained. Honor these great Karateka by NEVER giving up!
Also, I’ll be changing the name of the Blog soon, still thinking of a name but will most likely be based on a Kata.
Next upload will be focused on what I take with me to the dojo and what supplements I take for training. Please note, I dont fully endorse supplements but in this day and age it’s difficult to find the time to properly eat good and healthy foods due to work, education and family commitments.
I admire people who train hard, push their bodies beyond their own expectations and then prove their worth in competition. You don’t have to be doing Karate or fighting, you could be a runner or a cyclist, you could apply this to your studies or work.
But be sure you give EVERYTHING to what you love, EVERYTHING! “It is dishonorable to die with your katana clutchedin your hand and your wakizashi tied to your belt sheathed and untouched.” - Miyamoto Musashi